Estate Planning at Laidlaw Firm
Elder law is an area of law that helps individuals and families take measures during their lifetimes to protect assets should they need extra care as they age. At Laidlaw Firm, Attorneys at Law, PLLC, we provide strategic counsel and advocacy to our clients as they take necessary legal action in estate planning, healthcare planning, and the transferring of assets.
If you or your loved one needs assistance with asset protection, and financial planning or any elder law matter, please contact us for a free consultation.
As an experienced elder law advocate and representative, we will:
- Advise you about long-term health insurance and other options
- Set-up irrevocable trusts that allow you income during your lifetime
- Advise on strategies to protect your family home
- Explore all of your options and alternatives in estate planning, elder law, and retirement planning
- Appoint power of attorney to address your health care and financial needs should you become incapacitated
- Help you qualify for Medicaid
- Advise on how to transfer assets without incurring penalties based on the Medicaid 5 year look back period
Healthcare Proxies and Financial Powers of Attorney
A healthcare proxy and financial power of attorney are essential for people as they age. Although these documents are available to create without a lawyer, New York banks are notoriously particular about accepting powers of attorney.
We will take the time to build a relationship with your bank or brokerage and make sure they will accept your power of attorney when the time comes.
For our clients we have put together a comparison of two different companies, NYSARC and UCS, which offer pooled trusts. Pooled trusts are permitted under Federal and New York State law. In order to still remain eligible for government benefits such as Medicaid, excess income is placed in a pooled trust.
NYSARC AND UNITED COMMUNITY SERVICES OF BORO PARK (UCS): POOLED TRUST COMPARISON
Contact Laidlaw Firm, Attorneys at Law, PLLC for a free, fifteen minute phone consultation with an experienced elder law attorney. Our office is located conveniently in downtown Bedford Hills, New York and is easily accessible by car or train.